As I said in my last entry, one thing I admire about Stella McCartney is her well-balanced life as a successful business woman and a mom with four cute children! And by saying “mom”, I mean a chic mom. Continue our “style lessons from Stella McCartney” series, today let’s share some of her outfits during her pregnancy for those of you who are going to be a mom, have friends that are pregnant, or plan to build a family in the near future, like myself.
Getting dressed during pregnancy is hard, especially in the fall/winter when even there are only two layers, you still look and feel huge. I have friends who just wore their husband’s clothes in the last trimester of pregnancy, or lived with maxi dresses and sweater pants. But if staying chic during pregnancy is just a few tips away, are you in?
1. Layering is key to keep you warm and comfy in various of environments without adding extra bulk. Like Stella McCartney did (above middle), start with a basic, long tank top (which gives you the warmth while protecting your belly), then wear a long or short sleeve T-shirt over it. Top it off with a sweater or sweatshirt. Roll up sleeves to show the layers or choose them in different hemlines. Depend on the weather, you can add a cardigan, a cropped jacket or a wool coat when go out.
2. Use flowy or voluminous scarves with beautiful prints or drape sweaters in eye-catching colors to cover the bump.
2. Wear fitted jeans (not “tight”) instead of sweatpants and slouchy dresses. With a big belly, you want something smaller at the bottom to give you more definition. Something structured also helps, like a structured coat or a tailored blazer.
3. Roll up your jeans, or push up your sleeves to show off the thinnest part of your body.
4. Keep up with the trend. Being pregnant doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice style. Keep yourself updated with the latest trends. Of-the-moment fashion accessories are great way to show your fashion taste and freshen up your outfits: a pair of trendy sunglasses (see the cool sunnies on Stella McCartney in all the three looks above?), an “it bag” (you can never go wrong with the iconic “Falabella” bag she designed), a scarf in an of-the-moment color (for now? try a burgundy faux fur stole or a blue cashmere-silk scarf).
5. Don’t be afraid to try prints & colors, as long as it’s not around your belly. Since prints and colors draw attention to that body part, so put them around the area you want to emphasize. Like the pieces on Stella McCartney above, the red jacket, printed scarf and multi-color cardigan draw attention away from her belly.
Below are some great picks (from wardrobe basics to trendy pieces) to keep you warm, comfy yet stylish during winter. Great for you to wear before, during and after pregnancy. Happy hunting!
Diane von Furstenberg (check the eight ways to wear it here)
Helmut Lang (my favorite! The drape front and cropped back design, the chic color make it flattering, edgy and chic)
Gap (extra 30% off with code GAPGIFT. It has detachable faux fur trim!)
Clockwise from top left:
Stella McCartney Falabella bag (yes, it’s the one the designer carried countless of times! It comes in a variety of colors, prints and materials. It’s the bag I consider both timeless and timely.)
See by Chloe booties (also adore this hunt green pair)
Rebecca Minkoff bag (the studs give this elegant bag an edgy touch. The color is seasonless. With the adjustable chain, you can wear it cross body for day, over the shoulder for night, or grab it as a clutch)
Stuart Weitzman boots (It’s timeless, comfy and in style)
3.1 Phillip Lim satchel (no more words to say, it’s the hottest!)
Ann Taylor heels (the print is a statement. The low heels are easy to wear during pregnancy. It’s currently on sale plus extra 40% off, truly a stylish steal. black version here)
Stella McCartney (yes, this is the one on the designer in the first image above. See how chic she tied hers! Similar one here.)
Burberry (also here; another legendary piece)
Nordstrom Collection (so cozy! Be creative with it!)